The Power of Self-Reflection, why is it necessary? Why do we need to self-reflect?
When we self-reflect, we become self-aware and that gives us hope to move on in life.
How often do you stop to take a look at your inner world? To see what’s going on and think about how you really feel. I feel that we live in a society where we suppress our feelings, we’re so focused on external things that we rarely take a step to think about how we are.
Asking yourself some deep questions helps you to have a better understanding of who you are, where you are in life and what you want to do. Self-focus may seem like a narcissistic thing to do, but self-reflecting is a critical component of positive change in life.
Self-reflection has allowed me to clock on patterns in my life that are toxic and unhealthy; an example of this would be my romantic relationships, where I’ve come to notice that the guys I dated were dismissive and unwilling to commit. Through psychotherapy, I realised that were was a lesson to be learned from all the guys I dated, which was that I dismissed my own feelings.
Self-reflection takes time, and several questions sometimes. So here are a few questions to ask yourself when it comes to self-reflection.
- How am I feeling today?
- What do I need most from myself right now?
- What are my values?
- What is my biggest fear?
- What inspires me the most?
- What is stopping me from making the first step towards my goals/dreams?
- What keeps me motivated?
- Am I taking responsibility for my actions?
- Who and what am I using to reaffirm deeply held beliefs about myself?
- What of my stuff am I projecting onto the people around me?
- What’s stopping me from enjoying this moment/my life right now?
- How important is social approval for you?
- Which are the most memorable moments from your past and why?
- What in my life needs my attention? And what kind of attention does it need?
- What are you grateful for?
- What are the most important things to me in life
- What painful trauma’s are holding me back from moving on life?
- Do you love yourself? – Why/Why Not
- How can you love yourself, even more, today?
- Who am I, really?